Run Your City this Heritage Day, Thursday 24 September 2020, with the Absa Run Your City Series (RYCS) Heritage Day Virtual Run!
“The Heritage Day Virtual Run is an exciting addition to the existing Absa RYCS portfolio of events,” says Michael Meyer, Managing Director of Stillwater Sports. “Participants from all walks of life will be able to unite (virtually) in a spirit of camaraderie, pride and celebration. With mass participation events currently suspended in South Africa, we are excited to celebrate National Heritage Day with thousands of runners for the first time ever in a Virtual Sphere.”
“The current circumstances have initiated a new wave of virtual sporting activities that are gaining momentum in South Africa and globally. The Heritage Day Virtual Run is a great initiative that will inspire people to continue participating in all sporting codes; and also builds on the spirit of nation building and unity amongst us all. We are truly proud to be part of this event,” says Bonga Sebesho, Head of Absa Sponsorships.
Name Change of Cape Town and Durban events: Coinciding with the launch of the Heritage Day Virtual Run, Stillwater Sports has also announced a name change for two of the traditional events, with the Cape Town and Durban races now being known as the Absa RUN YOUR CITY CAPE TOWN 10K (formerly known as the Absa Cape Town 12 ONERUN) and Absa Durban 10K CITYRUN (formerly known as the Absa Durban 10K CITYSURFRUN).
“The Absa RYCS has evolved since the inception of the first event in Cape Town in 2015,” states Meyer. “We are excited to further cement the idea of a series by aligning the Cape Town and Durban event names with that of the Joburg event and ultimately the Absa RYCS as a whole.”
2020 Traditional Events Cancelled: Due to the current state of the COVID-19 pandemic in South Africa, both the 2020 Absa Durban 10K CITYRUN and Absa Joburg 10K CITYRUN events have been cancelled. The Absa RUN YOUR CITY CAPE TOWN 10K was cancelled earlier this year shortly after South Africa entered lockdown.
“We are sad to cancel the Durban and Johannesburg events,” confirms Meyer. “Runners that have already entered and paid have three options available to them. Option One is to transfer their entries to the Heritage Day Virtual Run and be part of the Nationwide Heritage Day celebration. Option Two is to donate the entry fee to one of the official event charities, and Option Three is to receive a full refund.”
Existing Absa Durban 10K CITYRUN and Absa Joburg 10K CITYRUN entrants will be contacted directly.
EVENT INFORMATION: Absa Run Your City Series Heritage Day Virtual Run
Event Date: Thursday 24 September 2020 / National Heritage Day
Entry Fee: R195.00
Time: Start – 08:00 / Cut Off – 12:00
Entries Open: Wednesday 12 August 2020
Entries Close: Tuesday 22 September 2020 (midnight)
Enter Via: https://runyourcityseries.com/
The entry fee includes:
- Entry into the Absa RYCS Heritage Day Virtual Run
- An event Race Pack to the value of R300. Race Pack contents will include:
- An Absa RYCS Limited Edition Event Performance Tee
- An Absa RYCS Race Number
- A pair of stylish Absa Socks
- Access to the Run Your City Tracking App to use during the Heritage Day Virtual Run. The App will be available to download from the Google Play and App Store from Monday 21 September 2020 and will track the runner’s progress on their actual route, while showing their ‘virtual position’ on the Cape Town, Durban or Joburg event routes.
- Race Pack delivery to the provided pickup location as selected during the entry process.
- A real time leaderboard will be available on the Tracking App.
- Final results will be shared to the Tracking App as well as the Absa RYCS website.
- All finishers will receive a digital Finisher’s medal and certificate.
- Exciting PUMA prizes will be up for grabs on the event’s social media platforms on race day.
Race Pack Delivery: Participants residing in South Africa will collect their Race Packs from the pickup location selected during the entry process. If you enter by Monday 14 September 2020 your Race Pack is guaranteed to be ready for collection before race day.
Charity Support: When entering online participants can choose to support the following Absa RYCS Charities: Cotlands, Johannesburg Heritage Foundation, Johannesburg SPCA, Reach For A Dream Foundation, TREE, Durban & Coast SPCA, LIV Village, iThemba Lethu, help2read, Die Burger Kinderfonds and The Cape Of Good Hope SPCA.
Remember to share your experience via social media!
For further information or to enter the Absa RYCS Heritage Day Virtual Run visit https://runyourcityseries.com/